Search This Blog

Thursday, June 6, 2013

My Mom's Holiday Turkey/ChickenLiver And Noodles Recipe

My Mom's Holiday Noodles And Sauce Recipe

This is my Homemade Checken Noodle Soup.  I do not have a picture of my Mom's Thanksgiving Noodles.

This recipe has been in my family for a long time. My daughter went to make them and asked all her friends for their recipes. She told me that they just were not the same as the ones that she is used to eating.  Then she came to me and asked me how we do it.  She should have asked me in the first place ......but you know how when you think that everybody else does it the same way as you .....you just never think about that.
We have them every Thanksgiving.  In fact if you forgot to make these Thanksgiving wouldn't be Thanksgiving without them.  They are good on the Mashed Potatoes and also just by themselves. You can make them with Chicken giblets too or just Chicken livers. They taste best using the giblets though as the skin on to neck adds to the flavor.

My Mom's Thanksgiving Egg Noodles
After removing the giblets, liver and neck out of the Turkey or Roasting Chicken rinse them off and put them in a 3 quart pot.
Add about 4 cups of water and 2 or 3 boullion cubes.
Bring to a boil and them lower it down to a simmer. Simmer this for 45 minutes.
Remove the neck, liver and giblets. Let them cool for about 10 minutes.
While these are cooling you add 1/2 cup chopped onions and 1/2 stick butter.
Take as much meat off the neck as you are able and add it to the liquid you removed them from. Chop up the liver and add that to the liquid too. You may do the same with the giblets but I give them to my animals.
Bring the liquid back up to boiling and then add 2 cups of noodles (any brand or flavor will do) and boil for 10 minutes. Just make sure that you have about a cup of liquid for the juice in the noodles.  Sometimes they can dry out and I just add more water and bring it back to a boil and get the noodles the consistency that I like....which is softer than al dante.  You may prefer it that way or not.
If you are using chicken livers by themselves you need to add more butter or the noodles will soak up too much water and they will be dry.
Enjoy!


© Debra K. Allen a.k.a Lady Guinevere

No comments:

Post a Comment